During the Spring 2017 semester the Nuclear Science and Security Consortium is offering an online class, “Nuclear Security: The Nexus Between Policy & Technology” for participants from our partner institutions. Classes will be broadcast live from UC Berkeley on Mondays from 5-8pmPST at this link.
If you are unable to attend live, recorded lectures will be uploaded below, along with a list of topics covered, and the sections from the readings that correspond with each lecture.
Required Readings for Course:
• Fred Kaplan, The Wizards of Armageddon (FK)
• Paul Bracken, The Second Nuclear Age (PB)
• Jacques Hymans, Achieving Nuclear Ambitions (JH)
• Graham Allison, Nuclear Terrorism (GA)
• Robert Serber, The Los Alamos Primer
• R, Scott Kemp, The Nonproliferation Emporor Has no Clothes: The Gas Centrifuge, Supply-Side Controls, and the Future of Nonproliferation
Class 1: Introduction to the course. Origins of Nuclear Energy. Concept of Energy.
Class 2: Atoms and Nuclei. How we got the bomb; Elements of Nuclear Energy and Technology.
Class 3: Radiation and Radioactivity. Elements of Nuclear Energy and Technology, Nuclear Weapons and the Cold War.
Class 4: Fission, Nuclear Weapons and the Cold War
Class 5: Nuclear Reactions, Elements of Nuclear Energy and Technology, Nuclear Weapons & Cold War
Class 6: Reactors, The Nuclear Proliferation Challenge and the spread of Nuclear Technology
Class 7: Exam Review