Basics of Nuclear Reactor OperationsUniversity of California, IrvineJuly 13 – July 24, 2015
Deadline: RollingSee attached for application and course details.
The University of California, Irvine (UCI) is pleased to offer an intensive two-week summer course in basic nuclear reactor operations that will prepare you with the theoretical and practical training needed to obtain a Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) Reactor
* Priority will be given to students from the seven members of the Nuclear Science Security Consortium (NSSC), but others may apply. Undergraduate students are encouraged to apply.
Hands-on Experience Includes
- Nuclear reactor operation
- Radiation detection and measurement
- Nuclear waste separation
- Neutron activation analysis
- Prof. A. J. Shaka, Department of Chemistry, SRO and Reactor Director
- Prof. Mikael Nilsson, Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering and Materials Science, SRO
- Dr. George Miller, Department of Chemistry, SRO and Reactor Supervisor.
The course is open to graduate students in science and engineering with an interest in careers in nuclear science. Experienced upper level undergraduates will also be considered, as will professionals in industry who wish to learn the material. Students need not be US citizens to enroll in the course, but US citizens will be given priority.