Safeguards and non-proliferation, as related to the entire fuel cycle, are crucial for nuclear security and threat reduction. The NSSC participates in basic and applied research programs, currently underway or being planned, at collaborating universities and national laboratories, and provide more opportunities for students and early career scientists to work with laboratory researchers in these areas. In our approach, we integrate novel safeguards R&D (both experimental and modeling and simulation) with a broader multidisciplinary nuclear energy research program and capabilities.
Nuclear engineering research is conducted by students and faculty at UC Berkeley, UC Davis, and UC Irvine in collaboration with scientists and researchers at NSSC partner national laboratories.
Key Personnel in Focus Area:
- Focus area lead: Max Fratoni, University of California, Berkeley
- Focus area co-lead: Philippe Bardet, University of California, Berkeley
- Jasmina Vujic, University of California, Berkeley
- Peter Hosemann, University of California, Berkeley
- Rachel Slaybaugh, University of California, Berkeley